History

E-mailPDFPrint

Our Department: Yesterday, Today and Tommorrow

 

The Hubbards Fire Department proudly protects the citizens and visitors of Hubbards and area in District 2. We are dedicated to enhancing and preserving the quality of life, property and environment through education, leadership and effective response to emergencies. This volunteer service is provided 24 hours a day, seven days a week, throughout our community.

The Hubbards Fire Department was organized and established in 1958 by a group of concerned community members following the tragic death of a local resident in a trailer fire. The original fire station was located on Station Road in Hubbards and remained there until 1961.

Ifotoflexercornerstone_photon that year a new hall was built on Highway 329 where the it is located today. The new station was funded entirely by the J.D. Shatford Memorial Fund. The land was generously donated by local residents. Chief Doug Wooff (left in photo) officiated the 1961 cornerstone ceremony for the new station on Hwy 329.

 

 

 

 

 

Ouold_station_picturer early equipment consisted of three main appparatus, including a pumper, a tanker and a 1955 Willys Jeep Utility vehicle.

 

fotoflexeroldtruck__photo

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

fotoflexeroldjeep_photo 

  

This Jeep was subsequently donated to the Blandford Fire Department to assist them in starting their local fire service. 

  

 

 

 

fotoflexerwestahaver_photo

 

Chief Westhaver received the keys of the new 1974 Chevrolet Pumper.

 fotoflexer1974group_shot_photoA group photo was taken with the new 1974 Chevorolet Pumper. (Top Row Left to Right: Carl Harnish, Guy Westhaver Jr., Vincent Harnish, Carmon Schwartz, Unknown, Bob Huskins, and Bottom Row Left to Rigt, Donnie Nicolas, Jerry Cavanaugh, Harold Richardson, and Joe Newall)  

 

 

Afotoflexertanker1_photo new Tanker was required and our 1981 unit was brought on line. This unit has a 1050 pump and 1500 gallons of water on board. This unit is still in service today but is to be replaced in 2009-2010.

 

 

  

 

 

 

fotoflexer361_photoA Forestry 4X4  truck was acquired in the late 1990's and in 2001 a new Rescue truck was purchased to respond to ever increasing medical calls in the community.fotoflexer321_photo

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In 2004, Chhans-new_pumper_progress_enterprise_clipief Hans Stokkeskog accepted the keys of the new 2004 Pumper apparatus ( Progress Enterprise.)

 

 

fotoflexer313_photo

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Hubbards District Fire Department responds to over 150 emergency calls each year. The communities served by the Hubbards Fire Department  include  Hubbards itself and the surrounding communities of Fox Point, Mill Cove, Birchy Head, the Lodge, Simms Settlement and Mill Lake. One of the  most demanding services to the community is our emergency response to motor vehicle incidents on Highway 103 between Exits 5 and 7.