Home Fire Prevention Tips

Fire Prevention starts in your home. Here are a few simple suggestions to remember to help make your home fire safe.

 

  • NEVER store flammable liquids inside the home. This includes gasoline, kerosene, paint thinners, cleaners, and LPG tanks. Be safe, check the label and store accordingly.
  • When cooking with oil or grease, have the pan lid readily available to smother a possible grease fire.
  • Never leave your cooking unattended.
  • Avoid loose long sleeves when cooking.
  • Check kettles and toasters for damaged electrical cords and thermostats.
  • Use appliances that have an automatic shut-off.
  • Keep a timer handy to remind you when the oven and burners should be switched off.
  • If you take medication that causes drowsiness, do not use cooking appliances.
  • When using appliances that create heat and contain a built-in thermostat (i.e., toasters, toaster ovens, irons, hair dryers, and coffee makers), remember to unplug them when no longer in use. On occasion, the thermostat can fail,causing the appliance to overheat, and possibly start a fire.
  • Hot ashes retain heat for long periods of time. When removing ashes from a fireplace, place them in a metal container and move them to a place outside the home. Make sure that they cool down completely before disposing of them.
  • When extension cords must be used, don't place them under carpeting or furniture where they may become worn or damaged. Use a power bar with built-in circuit breakers rather than multi-plug adapters when you need extra plug options.
  • Be careful to keep at least 2-3 feet clearance around your water heater, furnace, and/or space heaters.
  • Remember to keep the filter and ductwork from your clothes dryer free of lint build up.
  • Keep an ABC all purpose dry-chemical fire extinguisher near an exit. Learn how to use it properly.
  • Always use a fire screen, ensuring it is the appropriate size for the fireplace opening.
  • Do not overload electrical outlets or use extension cords in the place of additional outlets.
  • Ensure careful use of smoking materials and extinguish in water before disposal.
  • Bedrooms should be non-smoking areas.
  • Never leave cigarettes in an ashtray unattended.
  • Keep matches, lighters and lit candles out of the reach of children.
  • Never leave lit candles unattended.
  • Install at least one smoke alarm outside each sleeping area.
  • Remove all combustible and flammable materials from the basement and attic.
  • Store gasoline in well-ventilated areas. Do not store propane indoors.
  • Use only approved containers to store and transport gasoline.
  • Have a thorough yearly maintenance check of the furnace carried out by a professional.
  • Chimneys should be cleaned by a professional at least once a year.
  • Flammable materials - thinners, gasoline, paints, industrial cleaners - should be stored neatly in approved containers and away from possible ignitable sources.
  • Do not smoke, or leave matches or lighters in the garage or workshop.
  • Install and know how to properly use the appropriate fire extinguisher for the garage/workshop.
  • Keep the area clean. Remove garbage, paper products, oily rags and wood shavings regularly.